It’s been several months since I started getting disability payments, and it has been a huge help to me. I no longer suffer from the stress of working at retail jobs. I don’t have to panic when I get sick because I can go to a doctor. I can sharpen my photography skills with new equipment. I have been more productive in the past few months than I was in all the time since I graduated from high school. I could even put together a halfway decent resume if I really wanted to look for a job. I don’t, of course, because I’m pursuing photography, but here are a few items I would put on it.
* Photographer for meetings of Houston Oasis, a local 501(c) organization and growing secular community
* Member of the Houston Oasis marketing committee
* Leader of support group meetings for adults with Asperger’s Syndrome
* Admininstrator of a growing Facebook group for adults with Asperger’s Syndrome in the Houston area
* Webmaster of my own photography website (http://www.jpmitchellphotography.com)
* Slayer of TROG-DOR THE BURNINATOR!
I’m kidding about the last one. Nobody could ever defeat Trog-Dor. But anyway, I’d say that’s pretty good so far, and it’s thanks in large part to the freedom I have now to explore my interests. It’s gratifying to know that I’m putting the money to good, productive use.